Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

i was walking home today with a spring in my step because i think i managed to make four lovely patients i have never met before smile - and another patient i talked to 2 days ago still remembered me when i went to the front of his bed to get his nursing folder, and also because the fy i was shadowing told me after i got back to the doctor's table that one of the consultants told him that i was a good medical student and that the fy was lucky to have me around! and this consultant only had real contact with me last year when i was doing my general medicine block! heehee! :))

not only that - i was on call on monday and i clerked a patient in (the same patient whose nursing folder i was getting) and i presented him to one of the regs who stepped in for the original on call reg for a while, and she was well chuffed with me! "are you going to do medicine?" (i was assuming that she meant medicine the course so i stared at her dumbly and nodded.... and then it struck me that she was referring to medicine as opposed to sugery -_-) "you know you should seriously consider doing medicine! do you want a mini-cex out of that?"

hahahaha i've always complained about the universe conspiring to throw a perpetual spanner in the works of my life - looks like this will be the first time ever that i will be thinking that the universe is going out of its way to be extra nice to me...

(thank you so much :))) )

MOREOVER (this is a word i use too often, together with "furthermore" and "in addition" - stupid case reports), i am on a "care of the elderly/rehab" ward and i thought i would be dreading it but NOOOOOOOOOOOO I LOVE IT THERE. the fy i am shadowing is such a nice guy, i think he's possibly the nicest fy1 i have ever had the pleasure of working with! "oh are you sure you want to (insert menial administrative job normal fys gladly pile onto shadowing students)? is it useful for you? just tell me if it's not because you're here to learn and not to do my jobs for me!"

(he's the first ever fy who's "got it"... "it" being the true concept of medical shadowing - i dare say the rest of the fys see medical students as job monkeys - of course most of us genuinely want to help and don't mind doing all the scut work, but it'll be nice to come into contact with an fy1 who is really concerned about our personal development and stuff... he wants to be a psychiatrist in the future, figures - all the nice people go into psych, lol)

my "jobs" today included finding out causes of xanthochromia in a patient who had no reason to be having that, talking to a patient about a pain in his hip, a few venflons and bloods. i also rewrote 3 cardexes (out of my own volition), and had lunch. HAHA -_-

this is going to sound like i'm a 5 year old, but one of the nurses said i should be given a star for filling in the PVC bundles after venfloning 2 people... hahahahaha

okay.

anyway - day 3. :)